This blog is created to document the lovely evening organised by friends and family to honor Frances Coley. It also hopes to post and collect stories of Frances Coley, which may be compiled into a book in future. Please help us build these stories together. Frances is an amazing person!

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

MOTHER'S DEAR FRIEND

Memoirs written by Juanita Torrence-Thompson

Dear Frances,

I am so sorry, I cannot be there on this APPRECIATION OF FRANCES COLEY DAY, but when you feel a gentle breeze, a shaft of light from the sun, or a drop of rain, please know that my family -HUGH, DEREK and I- are there with you in spirit on this glorious day.

I will never forget your genuine kindness and what a wonderful friends you were to my mother, DR ZYLPHA MAPP-ROBINSON. She always spoke so admiringly, respectfully, and lovingly about you. I was happy when I met you to learn that you did indeed live up to my mother's verbal potrait of you.

As I got to know you better, one of your humorous expressions stuck in my mind, "It's more than a notion," as Frances Coley often says. I always attribute that to you and then I chuckle admiringly.

Well, dear Frances, it was more than a notion when God created you. The world sorely needs more kind, selfless, loving, hard-working people like you to turn this world arouund. KEEP YOUR WONDERFUL, HUMANE, UNIQUE WAYS. There is only one Frances Coley, but the world is a better place because you are here.

Here is a poem, "MOTHER'S DEAR FRIEND" which I wrote about you. This is in my new book, NEW YORK AND AFRICAN TAPESTRIES.

LOVE,
JUANITA TORRENCE-THOMPSON


November 3rd, 2007

MOTHER'S DEAR FRIEND
By Juanita Torrence-Thompson

Frances,
an omnipresent rock
lined with silk,
a steadying force
when my stepfather died.

My mother broke her ankle,
but after nurse and aides left,
Frances, small yet strong,
ferried food upstairs,
shopped, ran errands,
said *Baha'i prayers with her.

Frances,
pivotal for mother's surprise birthday party
kept our long-distance secret,
--opened up her home---
rolled up her sleeves,
chopping, dicing, baking
charming us with her fresh,
enigmatic smile, sense of humor.

*The Baha'is believe in the oneness of humankind. Baha'u'llah, Founder of the Baha'i Faith, brought teachings to spiritualize mankind.

No comments: